Motorcycle Licensing

Although motorcycle licensing regulations vary by state, all states require a motorcycle license endorsement to supplement an automobile driver's license. In most states drivers need to pass written and on-cycle skills tests and in some states a state-sponsored education course is required. AAMVA recommends that all drivers complete a motorcycle rider education course to ensure correct instruction and experience and further encourages prospective motorcycle drivers to seek a responsible motorcyclist mentor.

Over the years AAMVA, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), and its members have worked together to develop materials to assist jurisdictions in the development of a standardized motorcycle licensing program. 

The motorcycle examiner is responsible for administering the motorcycle knowledge and skills examinations The AAMVA International Driver Examiner Certification (IDEC) Board, in cooperation with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), developed a Certified Motorcycle Examiner (CME) program that offers jurisdictions uniformity in their motorcycle examiner training practices. The program assists jurisdictions by providing standardized training and testing for examiners and the knowledge and skills necessary to conduct quality motorcycle exams. 

Highlighted resources:

Below is a list of recently added items related to this topic. At the bottom of the page is a button that will take you to our search results page, where you can find additional items as well as filters to customize your search for content.