AAMVA supports a balanced program of crash prevention and highway safety. Essential elements of such a program shall include:
- Uniform laws based on the Uniform Vehicle Code and other model legislation.
- Uniform traffic signs, signals, and markings.
- Uniform crash reporting, including implementation and use of a central records system.
- A standard driver licensing program.
- A state-sponsored graduated licensing program that incorporates the program elements outlined in published AAMVA best practices.
- Efficient and effective enforcement of motor vehicle laws.
- Competent traffic engineering.
- A comprehensive program of public information and safety education.
- Competent research.