For purposes of motor vehicle regulation and taxation, AAMVA offers the following definition of “resident:”
- Any person, except a tourist or student, who owns, leases or rents a place of domicile within a jurisdiction and who remains in the jurisdiction for a consecutive period of ninety days or more.
- Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, personnel or employees of state and federal governments or their families, within their home jurisdiction.
- Any individual, partnership, company, firm, corporation or association which maintains a main or branch office or warehouse facility within the jurisdiction or which regularly operates motor vehicles in the jurisdiction.
- Any individual, partnership, company, firm, corporation or association which operates motor vehicles in intrastate haulage in the jurisdiction.
- Any person who meets the residence requirement to obtain a credential in the jurisdiction.